- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $400,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson
I think that one of the best parts of my job is being able to recommend books to kids that are going to introduce them to new narratives that will expand their imagination in terms of gender.
Sometimes kids that are into princesses come in, and they’re very ashamed or embarrassed to tell me what kind of book they’d like to read because they like princesses and because they’re labelled as a boy, everyone tells them it’s not okay. So when I ask them, like I ask every kid, “shall we get a book that’s about adventures or fairies or animals or dinosaurs or space or princesses?” they look at me with this great big expression of amazement because I’m giving them choices that maybe their peers or their teachers or some of their family might not. It’s so important to reassure kids that it’s okay to like whatever it is they like and that books don’t have a gender.
Police brutality in Ferguson costs taxpayers millions.
TONIGHT’S BAKE OFF DRAMA IS SO FUCKING INTENSE OMG
If whats happening in Ferguson was happening to an all white community, it would be called a dystopian novel
#and all actions against the police would be heroic and daring#and the plucky white protags would be encouraged to use violence to stop the injustice
- Mike Brown’s mom laid flowers where he was shot and police let a dog pee on the memorial site
- “Stand Up Against Racism" demonstration outside US Embassy in London
- Police claim to have no records of arrests of journalists
- Illinois school bans discussions of Mike Brown’s death
- Gov. Nixon introduces new Public Safety Director
- Push for police to wear body cameras continues
- Jon Stewart on Ferguson